Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Psychology Club’s Growing Community. 

How the Psychology Club overcame challenges and still looks to grow.
Pictured here is Emmett Fischer, Club Vice President, Christine Olson, Faculty Co-Advisor and Hunter Gruendemann, Club President.

The Psychology club is working on growing the club after it was relocated from the Social Sciences building to Charter Hall (CH) in May 2023 in order to bring the resources of the club to more students. 

Christine Olson, faculty co-advisor, said, ways they are bringing interest to the club is welcoming everyone and working on “the efficiency of communication to get people involved.”  Some ways they work on their communication are using Zoom to interact more efficiently with students off campus and cosponsoring events on campus. Olson said these are the “Challenges to resurrect the club” but “good ways to grow the club.” 

The club has had a question come up in multiple meetings. How do we grow our club? Some strategies they use are weekly game nights, more active social media accounts and increased community involvement. 

The ways it is more active on social media is by posting more frequently and working on Instagram to get group meetings. Some ways they are involved in the community is through programs such as Mustangs Give which is where students of Southwest Minnesota State University can sign up to help with a range of community service opportunities. The Psychology club volunteered for this and helped make tie blankets for Avera. They also have posters to interact with the student body. 

The game nights are “a place for members to get to know each other” Olson said, “(game night) is not Scrabble and not Monopoly.” The games they play are more collaborative and social. Game nights are described as laid-back playing games most people haven’t heard of before. Game nights are held one Wednesday a month, the next one being April 10th 5:00 p.m. in CH 127. Open to all. 

The club gives students who are majoring in Psychology a chance to attend the Minnesota Undergraduate Research Conference. This is as Olson said, “A big deal in the field.” This is a resource the students can use to their advantage. Students being able to meet people in the same field and gaining professional development are some of the advantages that come from the conference. 

Psychology club’s mission is to help the campus and students as much as possible whether it be mental health awareness or community engagement. They share the resources they have to offer. 

If you are interested, you can read more about the club and what they have to offer. The meetings are every Wednesday 10-11 a.m. in CH 127 and can be joined through Zoom.