Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Samaritan’s Purse: Disaster Relief

SMSU Students Volunteer for Disaster Relief in Mayfield, Kentucky
Samaritan’s Purse logo on side of trailer.

Following a March 9-16, 2021, tornado, SMSU Bridges International and members of the Marshall Efree Church volunteered to travel to Mayfield and help rebuild houses through an organization called Samaritan’s Purse. 

Prior to arriving at Mayfield, the volunteers spent a night in St. Louis, Missouri. While there, they visited various restaurants in the area, including a Papa John’s Pizzaria. They also visited a large park and attended a church gathering while in St. Louis. Upon their arrival at Mayfield, they unpacked and attended orientation. Afterwards, they shared a meal and fellowship. 

Each morning, the volunteers made their lunches for the day, packed them, and ate breakfast. Following that, they went to their worksites. At the worksites, they engaged in a variety of activities. They painted, installed insulation, attached siding, worked on roofs, built porches, dug holes, installed appliances, put in cabinets, and did some framework. 

Each evening, after a long of work, volunteers had some time for themselves. They showered, worshipped, and got to know each other as they shared an evening meal. Everyone then had an opportunity to share how their day had gone and give their own personal testimony. 

After five days of construction, the volunteers headed to Kansas City, Missouri. While there, they played laser tag, zip lined, bowled, did paintball, and had an opportunity to go shopping. They stayed in a lodge near a lake that evening and set out for Marshall, the following day. 

Following a long drive, the volunteers finally made it back home to Marshall and SMSU. To close out their trip, they conducted an informal award ceremony that honored their members. Hugs and warm goodbyes were then exchanged. 

Samaritans’ Purse always has opportunities for people to volunteer. Whether it be in Kentucky or another state, there is a never-ending litany of natural disasters that volunteers can help mitigate.