Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Your University, Your News, Your Life

The Mustang Buzz

Snow Falls Heavy in Marshall in Late March

Marshall has measured over 8 inches of snow fall through March 24-26, 2024
Photo+Taken+Meghan+McClain+
Photo Taken Meghan McClain

From March 24-26, 2024, Lincoln, Lyon, Murray, Cottonwood and Pipestone counties were under a winter storm advisory. This involved several inches of snow and fast winds that interfered with school and work.

Dave Hemp, director of student conduct/environmental health and safety, said, “Prepare for possible blizzard conditions. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.” Through email addresses to all students of SMSU.

Marshall received 8-10 inches of snow according to the National Weather Service. This caused Southwest Minnesota State University to have delayed openings March 25 and 26. There were many reports of vehicle accidents due to the road conditions.

This is surprising as just a week ago March 19 the average temperature was 47 °F. this sudden change in temperature had setbacks for many people the main impact being traveling Hemp said, “Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.”

This sudden snow fall happened after the winter of 2023-2024 named The Lost Winter by the DNR. That winter was given the name because of its small amount of snow. It seems that it just came a little late this year. The weather is expected to warm up as next week The Weather Channel shows temperatures in the 50 °F range.